Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Stewed Pumpkin
















Hey! I thought I'd share with ya'll a little bit of my experience stewing pumpkin!
Really though . . . all I'm sharing is pictures and my recipe. So. There are the pictures. Here are the steps I take to achieve that steaming orange mass, and one stuffed jar of pre-Thanksgiving goodies:
I choose a pumpkin from the many decorating our deck out the front door, then I wash the outside to get all the dirt off. Next I get the biggest knife in the drawer and with some effort, cut the pumpkin in half, scoop all the "stuff" out, and then cut it into fifteen or so large chunks. After this, my hands are already sore, 'but with the prize before my eyes, I find the strength to press on' :) I carefully remove the crust. The skin. The rind. And chop the peeled pieces into cubes, toss em into a huge pot, add a little water and it simmers for two hours, and after that I stir it often for four more hours or so.
Into a jar it goes and voila! You will want to then cook the seeds you scooped out, and make pumkin muffins!
It also makes a very yummy tasting pie! Praise the Lord for all things homemade!

1 comment: